I'm writing RSS files. When the file needs to be updated, I've been
deleting the old version and writing new text to a new file. Seems
like a lot of extra work. But if I write the new text to the old file
"starting at 0" what happens if the old text is longer than the new?

I can write spaces to the file from 0 to eof, but then I might end up
with a bunch of wasted space at the end.

Doing ACME Replace on the entire text also seems a bit extreme.

Is there a simple way to wipe the contents of the file without
deleting and recreating?

I'm prepared to feel stupid if it turns out to be really obvious.
--

Bill Steele