Updates to course pages

Howdy,
        I was wondering what procedures different schools follow to update personal or course pages on thei campus or department servers?  I'm interested in Military Academies in particular, but also in general.  What I mean is, do you:

a) make changes to the pages and save directly to the campus (or local) server?
b) make changes locally and then FTP them to the server?
c) make changes to pages and put in a workorder for IS to handle for you?
d) not have permission to put anything on the campus server?
e) make changes to a development server that synchronizes to the live server? (if so, does it synch immediately and automatically or do you have to prompt the action somehow?)

f) something else entirely?

Any and all responses are most welcome.

v/r
Alex