Yes, I, for one, Moodle and at the past CALICO conference in Hawaii gave a
presentation on how Moodle was introduced at my university (12,000
students).  In sum, Moodle, as a system is quite workable and reliable.
Your main problem will be human -- many people won't want to switch if they
have already their material on BB -- even though tools exist to convert some
modules, such as the quizzes to Moodle format.

Thus, as long as you are considering it as an *alternative* you should have
no problem.  You might also consider, once it is up and running, disallowing
NEW courses on BB, thus forcing people to move over to the new system.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
 Tom Robb, Kyoto, Japan

On 8/9/06, LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from Barbara Sawhill <[log in to unmask]>
> ---
>
> >Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 01:08:23 -0400
> >From: Barbara Sawhill <[log in to unmask]>
> >Subject: Do you Moodle?
> >To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>
> Greetings:
>
> At Oberlin, we are planning to use  Moodle  v 1.6
> (http://www.moodle.org) as an alternative to Blackboard for language
> classes (specifically the  LCTLs)  starting this fall.  We have begun to
> tinker and explore, but would appreciate any guidance or support from
> LLTI'ers before we go "live" in September.
>
> Are there others of you out there that are using this tool for this
> purpose?  If so, would you be willing to share your expertise?
>
> Please let me know!
>
> Barbara
>
> --
> Barbara Sawhill
> Director, Cooper International Learning Center
> Lecturer, Hispanic Studies Department
> Oberlin College
> Oberlin, OH 44074
> Voice: 440-775-8595
> Fax: 440-775-6888
> http://www.oberlin.edu/ilc
>
> President-elect, IALLT
> http://www.iallt.org
>
> Language Lab Unleashed!
> http://www.languagelabunleashed.com (the show)
> http://www.languagelabunleashed.com/blog (the blog)
>
> --
         **Join PacCALL http://www.paccall.org **
** 3rd Annual Conference, Nov. 16-19, 2006, Nanjing, China **

** Thomas Robb, Kyoto Sangyo University, Japan  **
**  http://www.kyoto-su.ac.jp/~trobb/index.html **