Begin forwarded message:

From: David Holm <[log in to unmask]>
Date: June 4, 2006 8:42:25 AM EDT
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Fire worship in Northeast Asia

Dear Pamela and others,

New Year customs that could well be labelled 'fire worship' are found
widely in the northwest marches of China, along the Great Wall. In
many parts of Shanxi, local people used to build large pagodas or
other structures out of enormous blocks of coal, and then set them
alight for the Shangyuan festival on the 15th of the first month. The
custom is also found in contiguous parts of northern Shaanxi (the Jin
dialect-speaking areas). When I was doing fieldwork in Shaanbei
during the 1980s, I made a visit to the former prefectural city of
Yulin in the far north of the province. This was in 1986, and Yulin
was still a closed area. I was astonished to see, on the outskirts of
the city, a huge pottery furnace in the crude likeness of an open-
mouthed semi-human monster, standing in the middle of a large open
area. About 12 feet high, this was meant to be packed with coal,
which was set alight for the 15th of the first month. When I visited
Yulin again in 1990, this strange device had disappeared.

There is plenty of evidence of Mongol cultural influence among the
local Han Chinese in the country outside Yulin - they drink their tea
in the Mongol style and live in tiny scattered settlements called
huochang. Yulin used to be a major entrepot for the central Asian
trade, with three drumtowers and a main street (shopping street that
is) some 5 li from north to south.

David Holm
University of Melbourne