--- Forwarded Message from Jonathan Perkins <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:58:40 -0600
>Subject: Re: #7805 Mac mini, anybody?
>From: Jonathan Perkins <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

We thought long and hard about the Mac mini, but eventually decided to go
with the pricier iMac.  Our reasoning included the following.

1) If you buy the Mac mini you also have to buy a keyboard and mouse ...
unless you use the ones from the old G3s, including the horrendous hockey
puck mouse.  You also have to buy a flat panel monitor.  If you add all of
these to the price it sees like much less of a deal. If you had a flat panel
already, that might be one thing, but if you are upgrading from G3 I Macs,
you are starting with nothing that you can carry forward.

2) The whole idea of such a small CPU reminds me of the horrible experience
we had with a Mac Cube a few years back.  In principle it seems like a good
idea because they show you the machine by itself with no cabling.  But once
you attach the power supply (notice that none of the pictures show the power
brick that you have to hide somewhere), the ethernet cable, the monitor
cable, the keyboard cable, the mouse cable and the USB powered headphones,
you wind up with a real rat's nest of cabling.  You could avoid the mouse
and keyboard cables by going with bluetooth, but then you wind up with the
problem of securing them from theft and the additional expense of the
upgrade.

3) I am still not sure how you can have such a small CPU sitting on the
desktop without it being in the way.  The pictures tend to show it sitting
between the keyboard and the monitor, but I have the feeling that the
distance between the typist and the monitor might seem a little far.  It
also requires a pretty deep desk to allow access to the CD drive.  I can
only imagine what all of that cabling running to the middle of your desk
would look like.  You could put it off to the side, but then it is harder to
reach the CD drive and you run the risk of someone knocking it off the back
of the table (or putting things on top of it) not realizing that it is the
actual computer.  If space is a real concern in you situation, then the Mac
mini strikes me as an accident waiting to happen.

We are expecting delivery on the new iMacs shortly, so drop me a line if you
want to know how the work out.

Jon

Jonathan Perkins
Associate Director