--- Forwarded Message from "Edmund Dente" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: Culture of Entertainment and Training
>Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 09:27:08 -0400
>From: "Edmund Dente" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"

In a terrific piece on current academic culture as "All Entertainment
All the Time"  in the latest <<Poets & Writers Magazine >>

http://www.pw.org/mag/teachersguide/indexloun.html

Mark Edmundson discusses the use of computers in Humanities instruction:

By putting a world of facts at the end of a key-stroke, computers have
made facts, their command, their manipulation, their ordering, central
to what now can qualify as humanistic education. The result is to
suspend reflection about the differences among wisdom, knowledge, and
information. Everything that can be accessed online can seem equal to
everything else, no datum more important or more profound than any
other. Thus the possibility presents itself that there really is not
more wisdom; there is no more knowledge; there is only information. No
thought is a challenge or an affront to what one currently believes.

OK, so we've seen this sort of response many times before. Nonetheless,
it is a fascinating, thought provoking column.  One line in particular
went right into my little book of handy quotations, and I want to share
it with you all.

In a short discussion of student-written course evaluations, Edmundson
notes the "Columbia University instructor who issued a two-part question
at the end of his literature course. Part one: What book in the course
did you most dislike; part two: What flaws of intellect or character
does that dislike point up in you?"

Now that's my kind of evaluation form!

Cheers!

Ed

Edmund N. Dente
Director, Language Media Center

Asst Director, Media Services      617.627.3036
Tufts University                        [log in to unmask]

Medford, MA  02155             http://ase.tufts.edu/lmc