--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 07:04:50 -0400
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #7589.1 Putting audio cd on a server (!)

> Second, you'll have to change the audio format (Audio CD format won't play
> from a hard disk).

Perhaps Jack can say more about the above statement.  While .WAV (on the
PC) and AIFF (on the Mac) formats are not identical to Audio CD, in my
experience, the file conversion in any direction is easy and automatic,
handled invisibly the OS and whatever audio software is involved in copying
the audio file from or to a CD.  If I copy a track from an audio CD onto my
hard disk, I can play it immediately.

> You'll probably want to "rip" the CD to your server in
> MP3 format.

While uncompressed audio files from a CD* (in .WAV or AIFF format) can be
streamed from a local server, these files are much larger than their
compressed equivalents (usually MP3).  This means that uncompressed audio
files will take much more disk space on the server, and will place greater
demands on the streaming server software and hardware, on the network, and
on the computer which delivers the sound to the student.  I would recommend
audio compression for every streamed file.

MP3 is an aging format.  There are now audio-format choices that offer
smaller file sizes and better, more accurate sound.  However, MP3 is so
widely known and supported, that it is often the best choice in a
university environment.  Whatever audio format we choose today, we can be
confident that there will be a better choice available in a few years.  For
sound files that go with French, Spanish or German textbooks, we will
probably deal with new audio materials, rather than converting today's MP3s
into a new format.

For less commonly published textbooks, or for any original audio materials,
keep a copy of the original, uncompressed sound files.  We will get better
results from applying each new-generation compression format to these
original files, than we would from trying to convert one compressed file
format, like MP3, into another compressed file format, which will use a
different mathematical compression algorithm.

Derek

* One can argue that the sound on audio CDs is already compressed.
However, it is the most common "original" format for the sound files that I
deal with.

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100