Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. LISTSERV - MACSCRPT Archives - LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

The following minimalist droplet script gladly converts TIFFs to PICTs in
OSX using GraphicConverter.

on open theFiles
        tell application "GraphicConverter"
                activate
                repeat with SingleFile in theFiles
                        open SingleFile as alias
                        save window 1 as PICT
                        close window 1
                end repeat
        end tell
end open

 Unlike when saving files in a new format in GC via the GUI, however, it
leaves the filename alone, overwriting the original file.tiff. OSX then
continues to call the file a TIFF because of the bogus extension, and I
have other reasons to want to force a change to file.pict.  I thought it
should be simple to find the offset of the period in the name of window 1,
strip off TIFF, add PICT, and save window 1 as PICT in new_name. I can't
get offset to work. I have the StandardAdditions.osax in place. Can't I do

set infileName to the name of window 1 as string
set periodOffset to (offset of "." in infileName )

inside the above tell application GC block? I get weird errors (changing
somewhat depending on how I flail about) about the inability to get "." in
infilename, as if offset had no meaning inside the tell block.
Any approaches to solving this certainly trivial problem would be most
appreciated.