It may sound as if I have been pushing QuickTime a little bit too hard. But, since Quicktime is not a file format but a container for various file formats, it appears to be the most flexible container in an environment that dictates compatibility with various platforms and various playback devices. We have been using Cleaner 5 to do batch procesing for video as well as audio files. We can move complete archives of materials from MP3 formats into hinted .mov files and vice versa. We can produce files for various data rates - all accomplished through archiving one high quality file in a QuickTime container. Our archived files are hinted .mov files that can be mounted on a streaming server and that can be mounted on standard file servers - compatible with MediaPlayer on the PC and MoviePlayer on PCs as well as Macs. In other words, if we should ever need to give students a couple dozen MP3 files for a specific textbook for a portable playback device, we can do this by converting existing groups of files on our servers into a specific MP3 format and emailing those files to them, or making them available for downloading. Otmar Foelsche