Digital audio files (and video files) should be produced in a format that is compatible with all platforms, can be "http served", can be "streamed" and can be converted into future file formats without great trouble and without losing quality. It is important that files can be streamed as well as served. Passive listening is best accomplished with streaming (also very kind to the network bandwidth! - but its delivery to the client is delayed by five to ten seconds). Interactive applications require "served" (i.e. immediate, without delay) delivery to the client. Additional considerations are the price and compatibility of streaming servers. Our solution here at Dartmouth has been QuickTime (free clients for Macs and PCs) the QuickTime Streaming server (free for Mac, Linux, Windows platforms). We digitize audio with off-the-shelf equipment (an old beige G3 box) and SoundEdit Software ($150, I believe). We digitize video with off-the shelf equipment (a dual processor G4) a Sony media box, and iMovie (free) or FinalCutPro (expensive! - and only needed for extensive editing). We serve these files from Windows 2000, Mac OSX, MacAppleshare 6.3IP to Mac and PC users. We are in the process of simplifying things and will probably go with a single server platform which could be Windows 2000 (fairly complex to handle), or OSX (very simple to handle), or a Linux box (requiring UNIX knowhow). Our systems have been running for four years now and we have had a fairly smooth transition from the traditional lab to the digital lab. We do share our digitized files with other institutions if we receive proof of publishers' permission. Contact me off the list ([log in to unmask]). Otmar Foelsche