Our reason for converting to digital services has been based upon access / distribution, quality, space requirements, and cost. Despite the fact that we are still providing complete analog services on ten IS10 stations and 6 VHS stations in our lab, our users are very happy using the digital services either on computers in the lab, on networked computers in clusters, or on their own machines in ethernet-wired dormitory rooms. Our distribution of analog materials on cassette tapes is very small. I am aware of the fact that we are still in a somewhat exceptional (i.e. affluent) situation - but I think that other institutions will probably make similar decisions in the future. Some publishers have given us permission to duplicate digitized materials for use in other institutions. Assuming that most materials are already digitized somewhere, the production cost are negligible when shared among institutions. The access to the materials is granted 24 hours day and night. Distribution of materials in digital format provides a complete tape set on one CD-ROM (containing around 15 hours) that can be burned from an original in about 8 minutes. Distribution via a server can be done for less than $2000 for the complete audio holdings of a medium sized institution's lab, cost will increase somewhat with video services. Stations in the lab with computers can be used for many purposes - far more cost-efficient that an IS10 station. The quality of materials delivered via digital services remains the same, there is no deterioration through use. These are just a few arguments in favor of digital services.... Otmar Foelsche Dir., Humanities Resources Dartmouth College