Quick correction–Pumpkin Fest at Cedar Circle will be happening on Sunday, Oct. 8, not Saturday as previously stated!

From: Sustainable Dartmouth <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Monday, October 2, 2023 at 12:18 PM
To: RUCKUS <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: ***This Week in Sustainability*** October 2nd - 8th

Here's what's happening this week in Sustainability!

Learn about increased public transportation on campus and around the Upper Valley in our recent blog post!

TUESDAY, October 3rd

FARM CLUB WORKDAY
8:00 - 9:45AM | O-Farm (meet behind Robo)

·         Join Nico (they/them) and Mimi (she/her) for a farm workday at the O-Farm! Start your Tuesday right by getting your hands dirty harvesting some veg and taking in the beautiful sight of the Connecticut River during fall! No prior farming experience necessary!

·         Details and sign-up on Trailhead.

FREE MARKET THRIFT STORE OPEN HOURS
7 - 9PM | North Mass Basement

·         Our racks are fully stocked! Come swing by to get shirts, jeans, shoes, and more–all for free!

WEDNESDAY, October 4th

SUSTAINABILITY OFFICE HOURS
12 - 1:30PM | Robinson 106

·         Join us for delicious homemade sweets and riveting susty conversation!

·         All are welcome, whether you've been involved in the past or are looking to get started with Sustainability now!

POP-UP BIKES SHOP (PUBS)
3 - 4:30PM | Bikes Shop @ Fahey-McLane

·         Come get your set of wheels in shape with our Bikes Team! Whether it's a rusty chain or squeaky brakes, get rolling with help from our team of student mechanics!

THURSDAY, October 5th

V-HOC x FARM CLUB WORK DAY
8 - 10AM | O-Farm (meet behind Robo)

·         Come get your hands dirty (or borrow gardening gloves) at the O-farm on Thursday morning with Lauren '24 (she/her). There's no better way to start your day than at the farm. Come enjoy the best of New Hampshire fall with new friends, many vegetables, and beautiful views of the Connecticut River. No prior farming experience required--we'll teach you everything you need to know! This workday is a collab with VHOC, the DOC subclub for underrepresented genders in the outdoors!

·         Details and sign-up on Trailhead.

FRIDAY, October 6th

FARM x LEDYARD PIZZA DINNER
4:30-7:00 pm | O-Farm (meet behind Robo)

·         Join Izzy ('24, she/her), Avery ('24, she/her), Lily (’24, she/her), Keelia (’24, she/her), and Jesse (’26, he/him) for the collab you’ve all been waiting for...LEDYARD X FARM CLUB PIZZA DINNER!!! We’ll enjoy a night full of the Upper Valley’s best pizza, topped with our very own O-Farm veggies.

·         There are two Trailheads and two sets of logistics for the trip! If you would like to paddle to the farm, sign up on Trailhead here. If you would prefer to ride in a van, sign up here.

FIRESIDE FRIDAY FARM CAMPFIRE
7:00-8:30 pm | O-Farm (meet behind Robo)

·         Join Izzy ('24, she/her), Avery ('24, she/her), and Keelia (’24, she/her) for a lovely farm campfire! We’ll have supplies for s’mores (vegan and GF included) and would love to see you there!

·         Details and sign-up on Trailhead.

FREE MARKET THRIFT STORE VOLUNTEER HOURS
7 - 9PM | North Mass Basement

·         Excited by our new thrift store and want to help sustain our efforts? Shocked by the amount of waste on campus and want a tangible way to curb it? Join us for a volunteer work session at the Free Market!

·         Help fold and sort clothing, organize the thrift store space, and more – sign up to volunteer here!

SATURDAY, October 7th

VOLUNTEER AT PUMPKIN FEST
8:30AM - 1:00PM | Cedar Circle Farm (meet behind Robo)

·         Volunteer at Cedar Circle Farm’s legendary PUMPKIN FEST with Avery (’24, she/her).

·         Have so much fun at a super cool farm and get a free ticket and free lunch. Fall vibes, music from Reckless Breakfast, food from said cool farm, Moon and Stars Arepas, and more, all the pumpkins in the world, VINS raptors, and community orgs - what more could you want?

·         Details and sign-up on Trailhead: https://doc.dartmouth.edu/trip/5711

FREE MARKET THRIFT STORE OPEN HOURS
12PM - 3PM | North Mass Basement

·         Come swing by our on-campus thrift store, the Free Market, this weekend! All clothing is reclaimed from Dartmouth's waste streams. Instead of buying new clothing, get second-hand for free!

SUNDAY, October 8th

FREE MARKET THRIFT STORE OPEN HOURS
12PM - 3PM | North Mass Basement

·         See above–same thrift store, with perhaps some new finds! 👀

FOOD DAY 2023

HARVEST DINNER
Dinner Monday, Oct. 9 | '53 Commons

·         A special dinner celebrating the fruits of the harvest season featuring Indigenous recipes and local products put on by Dartmouth Dining!

FRUITS OF LABOR SCREENING
7PM, Tuesday, Oct. 17 | Loew Auditorium

·         A Mexican American teenager dreams of graduating high school, when increased ICE raids in her community threaten to separate her family and force her to become the breadwinner. She works long days in the strawberry fields and the night shift at a food processing factory. Set in an agricultural town on the central coast of California, Fruits of Labor is a lyrical meditation on adolescence, nature and ancestral forces, and coming into one's power as a working young woman of color in the wealthiest nation in the world.

ROWEN WHITE FOOD DAY KEYNOTE
4PM, Monday, Oct. 23 | Steele 006

·         Rowen White is a Seed Keeper/farmer and author from the Mohawk community of Akwesasne and a passionate activist for indigenous seed and food sovereignty. She is the Educational Director and lead mentor of Sierra Seeds, an innovative Indigenous seed bank and land-based educational organization located in Nevada City, CA. Rowen is the Founder of the Indigenous Seedkeepers Network, which is committed to restoring the Indigenous Seed Commons, and currently serves as a Cooperative Seed Hub Coordinator.

HARFEST
Saturday, Oct. 28 | Dartmouth Organic Farm

·         Join us for fall farm fun at the O-Farm, featuring delicious foods from our very own fields and the farms of other local producers, live music, games, and more! Details forthcoming.

CLIMATE WINS

So much of our media is mired in gloom and doom–and don't get us wrong, there's a lot to be wary of when it comes to our fight for a just, livable future in the face of intensifying injustices and climate change. But, there's also SO much good work being done, too, that rarely gets highlighted. We've added this "climate wins" section to our weekly newsletter to counterbalance the bad news and reinvigorate our community in this good and hard work by celebrating wins.

·         MobiliD vans are on the move at Dartmouth! These fully electric vehicles offer service by request to commuter lots to reduce shuttle trips and provide transportation for folks with mobility challenges. Download the MobiliD app on the App Store or Google Play today!

·         The Portland City Council on Wednesday unanimously approved a five-year, $750 million plan aimed at climate action and environmental justice. The Portland Clean Energy Fund’s (PCEF) Climate Investment Plan aims to reduce carbon emissions and ensure residents are better prepared for climate change, with a focus on helping communities of color and low-income residents, from projects in renewable energy and energy efficiency upgrades to lowering greenhouse gas emissions from the transportation sector with EV incentives. Thanks to Ben Stevenson '27 for sending along this impressive climate win!

·         Six youth look to force thirty-two countries to act on climate in historic trial. The group accuses the countries of insufficient action over climate change and failing to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions enough to hit the Paris Agreement target of limiting global warming to 1.5C. The first of its kind in the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR), the case, if successful, could have legally-binding consequences for the governments involved.

If you've got a climate win you're excited about, big or small, email us at [log in to unmask], and we'll include it in next week's newsletter! According to the IPCC, every action that prevents further degrees of global warming, no matter what scale, is meaningful.

OTHER EVENTS

Below, find events from other campus organizations related to sustainability, climate, and social justice!

SUNRISE DARTMOUTH MEETING
Thursday, 8PM | Robo 106

·         Passionate about climate justice? Join Sunrise Dartmouth to learn how to get involved in the fight for environmental and social justice here on campus and nationally. Learn more about Sunrise Dartmouth here.

CLIMATE AND ENERGY WEEK
October 9 - 14 | Irving Institute

·         Mark your calendars for Dartmouth Climate and Energy Week taking place October 9-14. The week will showcase the breadth and depth of climate, energy and society activities at the College, and will give faculty, researchers, students, staff, alumni, and local community members the chance to connect with each other, and learn more about the interdisciplinary work on climate, health, sustainability, and energy-related topics happening at Dartmouth.

·         There will be something for everyone during Climate and Energy week, from a panel discussion on the energy transition in Vermont and New Hampshire, to a poster session and competition, to 2023 McGuire Prize for Social Impact winner Rose Mutiso's public talk, "Reframing the Debate on Africa's Energy Transition," to the second annual Dartmouth Faculty Symposium on Climate, Energy and Society.

FARM TO FILM FEST, JUNCTION ARTS & MEDIA
October 21, 9AM - 10PM | Downtown White River Junction

·         Farm to Film Fest 2023 is a collaboration between JAM – Junction Arts & Media, Vital Communities, and King Arther Baking Company, made possible in part through support from Vermont Humanities and media sponsor Vermont Public that aims to build awareness of the importance of agriculture as a climate solution and of the harms the current exploitive, racist, and unsustainable food system creates. Our mission is to promote Upper Valley farms that are taking direct climate action and to share hopeful solutions for climate crisis.

·         Learn more here!

Catch the online version of the newsletter here, and be sure to follow us on Instagram to stay in the loop!