Welcome to Cabin & Trail!
We are a sub-club of the Dartmouth Outing Club that goes on hikes (from 5-minute-walk to 2-week trek), visits cabins (no hiking required, shenanigans are probable), maintains trails and cabins, tours diners, dances contra, eats a home-cooked meal together every Wednesday, and generally has a darn good time. See below for information about our offerings this week... which include

Sunrises
Smiles
And Superb views from our cabins

See below for a complete list of activities for the week!

And remember: You can borrow any and all gear that you might need - from warm layers to zero degree sleeping bags to rain pants - for FREE!!!! (Just ask, leaders are picking up gear anyway so its no trouble to get you what you need)
Your gear options include but are not limited to:
  • hiking boots!
  • jackets!
  • shell pants/rain pants!
  • rain jackets/windbreakers!
  • sleeping bags!
If you'd like to get outside this weekend, sign up for any of the trips below by blitzing the email or clicking the link provided with your dietary restrictions and any food requests you may have (we usually go to the co-op).

As always, blitz the leaders with any and all questions, or blitz [log in to unmask] for more general information about the club!

Beginner-friendly trips are marked with bold (plus you can always check the levels or ask a leader for advice) ((notes on the level system at the end of the email))!!

THURSDAY THURSDAY THURSDAY
CABIN OVERNIGHT with Elliot Ng and Emily ft. Kevin!

When: Thursday 7 pm - Friday morning (back before 9Ls)!

Why the heck: Come hang out with us! There will be some dock-putting-away, potential canoeing, playing Settlers of Catan, general tomfoolery. Cost: $0,000.00

Gear: bring a sleeping bag, some warm layers, headlamp, water. You can borrow all of that if you need to- just include it in your blitz to [log in to unmask] when you sign up!
THURSDAY THURSDAY THURSDAY
What: Firebuild lessons/certification & Optional chopping lessons

When: 4:30-6:45

Why: Learn to build a fire, get your firebird certification if you're a heeler, and (optional) learn how to use an axe to safely and efficiently chop a tree that's fallen across the trail!

Level: 1 (no experience required)

Mileage: none!

Leaders: Bryton

Cost: free

Gear: clothing you don't mind getting dirty, long pants, closed toed shoes, 1L of water

Blitz/link: [log in to unmask]
FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY
What: Gile!

When: Friday after 12s (2-4:30)

Why: Gile is a short and easy hike, and we will be going at a slow pace so our '23s in the crowd still have enough energy to run around the bonfire!!

Level: 1

Mileage: 1.5

Leaders: Osman Khan '21 and Liza Gallandt '22

Cost: Freeee

Gear: warm layers, hiking shoes and water.

Blitz/link: [log in to unmask]
FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY
What: A GORGE-ous Fall Afternoon

When: 3:20-6:30pm

Why: Do you want to see some magnificent fall foliage? Do you want to see the deepest gorge in all of Vermont? Do you want to spend a very chill afternoon (and get some ice cream) with some rad people? Do you want some OF COURSE YOU DO!!!

Level: Very chill

Mileage: 2.7

Leaders: Ben Brody and Alex Wells

Cost: Free! (I’ve cream too)

Gear: All you need to bring with you is some decent walking shoes (up to you to define!), a water bottle (with water in it), and ~good vibes~ (but if Friday isn’t going your way, still come with us and we’ll do our best to have some fun)

Blitz: [log in to unmask] to sign up
SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY
"What: Norwich Contra Dance!!

When: Sat 7:15 PM – 11:15 PM (optional ride back at ~9:45)

Why: Contra dance is SO FUN and EASY! You did it at the Lodj—do it for realsies with your buds Kevin and Sasha

Level : 0

Leaders: Sasha Kokoshinskiy '22

Cost: $8 in cash (plz fill out this form if that's a problem: https://forms.gle/RM6SRMFnrf7Qmf4y9)

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY
What: Tripyramids/Whiteface/Passaconaway Hike

When: 6:30am-8 pm Saturday

Why: Climb five beautiful peaks over 18 miles. Experience just how delicious trail food is. Sight peak foliage from the summits!

Level: 5. 18 miles over difficult terrain, and large (3-4k) elevation gain.

Leaders: Kyle Bretherton and Elliot Potter

Cost: Free!

Gear: 2 liters water, daypack, headlamp, hiking boots, warm clothing/rain layer. You can borrow these -- contact us if you need to!

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY
What: Smarts mtn!

When: Saturday, 8:30am-2:30pm

Why: Smarts is a fun mountain, and it will be a good way to fix yourself post-homecoming. Kellen is gr8.

Level: 3: 7 miles round trip, ~2500ft elevation gain, and pretty rocky terrain

Leaders: Natalie Vaughan '20 and Kellen Appleton '20

Cost: nope

Gear: hiking boots/sturdy shoes, 3L water, warm layers, and a bag to put the things in

Blitz: blitz [log in to unmask] to get a spot!
SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY
What: Cole Pond Walk

When: 9am-12:30

Why: Beautiful foliage, and ~mild adventure~ (we've never been before but it looks very nice)

Level: 1.5

Milage: 6mi

Elevation Gain: 500ft

Speed: slow/medium

Leaders: Bryton Moeller & Max Teszler

Cost: free

Gear: 1 liter of water, hiking boots or sturdy tennis shoes, backpack to carry gear in.

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY
What: Pre-Homecoming Cardigan Sunrike

When: 5:15 AM (yes) to 9:30 AM (mmhmm!)

Why: Cardigan is an amazing nearly 4 mile hike with great views! Bang for your buck! Peak foliage! See the Sunrise! Start homecoming on a fun and outdoorsy note! Me, Mia Nelson will be there! You, yourself will be there too!

Level: 3/5 because we will be going at a good clip! Come if you're down to go relatively fast over moderate terrain!

Mileage: 4 miles ish

Leaders: Mia Nelson '22 and Katie Gregoire '23

Cost: free plus free

Gear: hiking boots, warm layers, two liters of water, rain jacket. all can be borrowed for free, but you have to tell me when you blitz you're coming! I'm not a mindreader! Just let me know! It's all free! So free! SOOOOO free! Everyone can hike!

Blitz/link: [log in to unmask]
SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY
What: Moose Mountain Trail Work.

When: Sunday 8am - 5pm

Why: There's a bog so we are going to make some nice stepping stones through it. Get outside, learn some skills, and be productive while you're at it.

Level: ~2: 4mi, some uphill. The trailworking component can be as easy or difficult as you like.

Leaders: Ethan Cook and Juan Miche Rosales

Gear: It might rain so let us know if you'll need a raincoat.

next MONDAY MONDAY MONDAY
What: The SpOOkY ScaRY fuLL mOoN NigHT hiKE

When: post-CnT meeting, back late depending on the pace of the group

Why: It's Spooky Szn! Surprises and mystery are abound on this ghoulish night hike up Haunted Holt's Ledge. We will be gaining 1000 ft in elevation on terrain that will bring just as many scares as it will fun times.

Level: open to any and all hikers, regardless of experience

Mileage: ~2.5

Leaders: Kellen Appleton & EW Laird

Cost: absolutely free

Gear: COSTUMES REQUIRED. If you don't have one, reach out, and we will provide! Let's get in the halloween spirit! Otherwise, bring water, shoes, and layers you'll feel comfortable hiking in at night. OPTIONAL: garlic, wooden stake, silver bullet

A note about levels....
Level 1: Short, easy, super-beginner friendly hikes at a leisurely pace with relatively little elevation gain. Think Gile sunsikes and trips to Mink Brook!
Level 2: Slightly longer but still beginner friendly hikes with slight elevation gain, typically half day trips! Think Holt's Ledge or Moose Mountain!
Level 3: Longer trips with moderate elevation gain and mileages! Think Smarts and Cube!
Level 4: Longer trips with more significant elevation gain and mileages! Think Franc Ridge or the Kinsmans!
Level 5: Trips with the most significant elevation gain and mileages! Think Madison, Adams, and Washington!

YITOOD (Yours In The Out Of Doors),
Katie & Bryton