Want to be productive during winter break?

Looking for opportunities to volunteer in China?
Interested in helping better the lives of rural schoolchildren?

The official application for the Dandelion Project’s annual Alternative Winter Break trip is open now! See bottom of email.

Three to four Dartmouth students will be selected for a 3-week experiential learning trip to Dandelion School (in Beijing) and Shatu Schools (in Shatu, Guizhou) in December.

If accepted, you’ll will work regularly with the Dandelion and Shatu middle school students and teachers online prior to the trip. You’ll plan projects and activities that encourage students to learn English.

Trip Application: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdW_pSWmWWM041spiBq58rlX3xUYN0Ue7HRfoXrdl9r4h8ZkQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

Pics from previous trips...
[Image]
The students are always really excited see Dartmouth volunteers.

[Image]

While in China, you’ll work in classrooms as teacher assistants and English oral conversation teachers. You’ll live in dorms (brand new as of this year) at the schools. We hope that our student participants will continue to engage with the Chinese students through the Dandelion Project after returning from the trip. We can provide some financial assistance (up to $1000), though some expenses during the trip may not be covered. Living in the dorms are pretty cheap/sometimes free, so the majority of the cost of the trip is the plane ticket.

Commitment and Expectations:
1. 3 weeks of volunteering in Dandelion School and Shatu Middle School between early and mid-December
2. Participate in general meetings and projects for trip preparations
3. Curriculum/Project preparation for the trip (3-5 hours/week)
4. Short trip report at end of trip and presentation to rest of the club

Qualifications
1. Must be passionate about education and culturally sensitive
2. Must be a strong team player and able to adopt to different surroundings and schedules
3. Basic proficiency in Mandarin is helpful but not necessary

Deadline:
Friday, October 12, 2018

Trip Application: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdW_pSWmWWM041spiBq58rlX3xUYN0Ue7HRfoXrdl9r4h8ZkQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

If you have any questions, please blitz [log in to unmask] :)