Dear Dartmouth,

The members of the Dartmouth College Democrats stand in solidarity with victims of sexual assault and gender-based violence
on our campus and in our country.

We are ashamed, we are angry, and we are sad that all but one of the members of the current majority party in the United States Senate – as well as one faint-hearted member of our own party – just voted to confirm Brett Kavanaugh to a lifetime appointment on the United States Supreme Court. Christine Blasey Ford and Deborah Ramirez – as well as all other survivors of sexual violence on our campus and in our country – deserve to be heard, believed, and valued. It is shameful that 50 United States Senators blatantly disregarded basic decency today for the purpose of political gain.

But we are not powerless. No matter your political views, we encourage – implore, even – all of you to vote for candidates that share your values on November 6, either here in New Hampshire or back home. In one month’s time, 35 seats in the United States Senate and all 435 seats in the United States House of Representatives will go up for election around the country, as well as 38 governor’s seats and numerous other races. In our own district, U.S. Representative Annie Kuster, a member of the Class of 1978 at Dartmouth and a survivor of sexual assault, is seeking another term in Congress.

In four weeks, we have an opportunity to show support at the ballot box for 25 U.S. Senators – all of whom are Democrats – who voted against confirming Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court, including several, like Bill Nelson from Florida, Joe Donnelly from Indiana, Claire McCaskill from Missouri, Jon Tester from Montana, and Heidi Heitkamp from North Dakota, who risked their careers to do the right thing. We also have an opportunity to hold the seven politicians accountable who voted to confirm Brett Kavanaugh and are seeking re-election next month to what our founders hoped would be the world’s most deliberative body.

We encourage each and every one of you to volunteer and vote for candidates who share your values on November 6 – all the way from school board to the United States Senate – because our democracy depends on it. And we all have an obligation to survivors, as well as to all other members of our democracy, to do so.

Thank you.

The Members of the Dartmouth College Democrats

Dartmouth College Democrats, Dartmouth's chapter of College Democrats of America, is the premier political organization at Dartmouth College in Hanover, NH. With a particular focus on political activism and issue advocacy, Dartmouth College Democrats aims to get all students at Dartmouth College involved in the political process.

*Check out our Website*
*Like Dartmouth College Democrats on Facebook*
*Follow Dartmouth College Democrats on Twitter*