Hey Students!

Did you know that in 2017, Dartmouth set a goal of diverting 50% waste away from the landfill by 2019?

The Dartmouth Sustainability Office is committed to meeting this goal by working with you, our waste

system users, and with FO&M to improve sorting education and infrastructure.

Dartmouth is unable to allow non-recyclable waste to be mixed in with the recycling. If a bag of recycling

is contaminated with too much non-recyclable waste (like food and napkins), the whole bag has to be

thrown in the trash. We totally get it, recycling at Dartmouth isn’t perfect, and we all need to work

together to help make it better. That means taking more time to sort recycling, dumping food waste out

of recyclables before recycling them, and reading up on how to recycle properly.

Waste on campus is just a small part of the global waste challenge. Recent changes in global recycling

markets are a good reminder that in some cases, we are going to need to put more effort into doing the

right, more sustainable action, like sorting our recycling in order to have a positive impact. It is also a

good reminder that recycling isn’t going to be the answer to all our waste issues and that working on

waste reduction and reducing the use of non-biodegradable materials like plastic is key (shout out to

paper straws & Green2Go)!

For more info on waste on campus check out:

https://www.sustainability.dartmouth.edu/howstuffworks

, Email

[log in to unmask], or drop by Sustainability Office Hours from 12-2pm on

Thursdays in Robo 108!