Hello campus!

Welcome to the first full week of class and the first full week of the DOC!  This email has a lot of information about what to look forward to and how to get involved!

What the DOC is:

The Dartmouth Outing Club was founded in 1909 to stimulate interest in the out-of-doors.  We continue that mission by organizing and leading trips across almost all outdoor disciplines.  We hike, bike, kayak, rock climb, surf, ski, snowboard and chop wood around the northeast and, during breaks, around the world.  Most sports are separated into different sub-clubs such as Cabin and Trail, Ledyard Canoe Club and the Dartmouth Mountaineering Club.  We also have clubs designed to make the outdoors as accessible as possible such as Women in the Wilderness and People of Color in the Outdoors.  We are totally open to campus and invite you to get as involved with as many clubs are you can!

How to get involved:

  1. Get on listserv.  Head to listserv.dartmouth.edu and log in at the top right corner.  Look for listservs that start with "DOC" and also Cabin-Trail and DMC.
  2. There is a "Intro to the DOC" this Wednesday 9/19 in Sarner Underground with pizza and leaders from every sub-club from 5:45-8.  The leaders will be happy to answer your questions, tell you about their clubs and get you on the listservs.
  3. Next Wednesday 9/26 from 5-7 PM there will be a free all-DOC feed (dinner!) in the BEMA (where the twilight ceremony was held) that all are welcome to attend.
  4. Take a look at the weekly calendar at the end of this email.  It's got club meetings and feeds listed out.  Feeds are totally free for '22s this fall.

What if I don't have the means or experience?

The DOC is constantly striving to make itself more accessible to all sorts of beginners.

Gear: Dartmouth Outdoor Rentals, located in the basement of Robinson Hall, has everything from shoes to jackets, from stoves to backpacks to make your trip possible.  Leaders of official DOC trips will check gear out for you for their trip if you ask them.  You do not need to have any of your own gear for any beginner trip in the DOC.  We are excited to have a full range of hiking Asolo boots available for the first time at DOR.

We have a Used Gear Sale next Wednesday from 10am - 2 pm in Collis Commonground for all sorts of gear.  Look for an email about that in the next day or two.

Money: Many of our trips are totally free to participants.  Any DOC activity that costs more than $10 has financial aid as an option.  (http://outdoors.dartmouth.edu/opo/finaid.html)  If the normal amounts aren't working for you, come into Robinson Hall and we can likely make something work.

Experience: Absolutely none is required!  Most people come into college without experience in many of the things we do and that's perfectly fine!  come to a meeting or two, go on a trip or two.  We expect and want and love beginners!  The trip leaders are all experienced and would love to teach you what they know.  You might just find a new passion.

Check out the calendars and list of emails below!

See you out there!

YITOOD (yours in the out-of-doors),

John Brady
DOC President

Weekly Calendar

Sunday:

Dinner Time– Women in the Wilderness Feed, Various Locations

Monday:

7:30pm – CnT Meeting, Robo Basement (Collis 101 for the first week at least)

9:00pm – Ledyard Council, Robo Basement (Collis 101 for the first week at least)

Tuesday:

7:00pm – DMC Feed, various locations

Wednesday:

7:00pm – CnT Feed, The Rock (16 Sargent Street)

Thursday:

Dinner Time– Ledyard Feed, Various Locations

Other Stuff Coming Up
  1. Fall Weekend - Saturday, October 6 - Get dinner at the Lodge after a big day of trips
  2. DOC Formal - Friday, November 6 - Get your fancy on with your outdoors friends
  3. Funding: More information will be coming out in the next weeks about the Schlitz Fund, the Environmental Studies Division Fund, and the Chris Vale Fund.  The DOC has money for your adventure or environment/ sustainability project!

DOC Directorate 18F

Contact any of the people listed below for more information about the club/ their sub-club/ how to get involved!

DOC President/Treasurer: John Brady '19

DOC Vice President: Lauren Mendelsohn '19

DOC Vice President: Laura Hutchinson '19

DOC Treasurer:  Janice Kai Chen '19

Alpine Ski Club:

Blake Dignes ’20

Bait and Bullet: