Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. LISTSERV - CAMPUS-EVENTS Archives - LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Michael Pollan’s new book tackles new research linked to psychedelics. He posits:

“Our perceptions of the world offer us not a literal transcription of reality but rather a seamless illusion woven from both the data of our senses and the models in our memories. Normal waking consciousness feels perfectly transparent, and yet it is less a window on reality than the product of our imaginations—a kind of controlled hallucination. This raises a question: how is normal waking consciousness any different from other, seemingly less faithful productions of our imagination—such as dreams or psychotic delusions or psychedelic trips? In fact, all these states of consciousness are 'imagined': they're mental constructs that weave together some news of the world with priors of various kinds."

How does religious faith, feeling, knowledge, revelation fit into this picture? Is it all just an illusion? Does that matter? Why or why not?

Come talk about it over free drinks and appetizers at Salt Hill Pub. Tonight at 9pm!

Leah Torrey