LOOKING FOR A MEANINGFUL COMMUNITY SERVICE & EXPERIENTIAL ACTIVITY!

JOIN DEMENTIA SCHOLARS IN THE FALL TERM!

See announcement below from Katharina Horn '19 about this wonderful program.

-Nathan Smith Society Executive Committee

****

Connect with the elderly with dementia at Kendal, a beautiful facility 5min away!
Learn about a disease that affects 50 million people worldwide projected to affect > 100 million by 2050!
Play games, make art, enjoy gardens, download music, and chat!

pastedImage.png

Join Dementia Scholars by filling out this application!
https://goo.gl/forms/wktPLVqSf9Q1URTw1

We chat with elderly residents with dementia for an hour a week with our partner organization Kendal, a continuing care retirement community in Hanover 5 mins away using Advanced Transit. Kendal is home to many wonderful people including retired Dartmouth faculty and Dartmouth alums! We are guided by Dr. Robert Santulli, a geriatric psychiatrist who teaches Living with Dementia in the Psychology department. Above is a picture of two students in the class conversing with a couple at Kendal in which one individual has dementia.

Our goal is to gain a holistic perception of the disease and learn how to construct meaningful relationships with people with dementia, despite the diagnosis. In addition to interacting with residents, we will digest various readings and discuss observations together. As the population ages and the number of affected families increases, students our age must prepare for the consequences.

Contact [log in to unmask] with any questions