Collis After Dark stands in solidarity with survivors of sexual assault, and acknowledges the history, and current reality, of violence and harm in many Dartmouth social spaces. However, if we are to make progress, it is also important to acknowledge that all social spaces are not equally responsible for perpetuating “high risk drinking behavior, toxic gender norms, and harmful power dynamics.” Collis After Dark strives to create spaces each week where all students feel safe, supported and validated, and we know that we are not alone in this effort.

In response to the recent call to close all social spaces on Friday, we respect the autonomy of organizations to respond to this call to action as they feel appropriate. Following Take Back the Night, some may wish to remain in engaged in personal or group reflection, while others may need the support of a social space that is not focused on their trauma—a space to relax with friends. For us, solidarity in this moment means maintaining an open social space where we hope people - both survivors and their allies - feel safe and welcomed.

After thoughtful consideration, Collis After Dark has decided to run its regularly scheduled late-night programming this Friday night, with a few important changes. Out of respect for this specific Call to Action, we will not be serving wine or any other alcoholic drinks at this weekend’s ‘Cork and Canvas’.  Tip Top Pottery will be hosting a guided painting session for those students that reserve a slot in advance, and there will also be free painting available to all students that pass through Common Ground starting at 10pm.  Additionally, we will be providing a space in Collis 101 for students to create artwork that allows them to heal and reflect on this Night of Solidarity. Finally, we encourage students to attend the Take Back the Night March and emphasize that our programming will not interfere with this important event.

Sincerely,

Collis After Dark

Else Drooff ’18                                  Mychaela Anderson ‘20

Joe Rode ’19                                     Samantha Koreman ’20

Weiling Huang ‘19                            Tehut Biru ‘21

Adam Reigler ‘20                             Jared Cape ‘21

Jonny Benitez ‘20