To the campus community,

The members of Panarchy stand in solidarity with the First Year Trips director, assistant director, and the chosen directorate.

We stand with the current directorate and trust that this amazing group of people is striving to make Trips and the broader campus community more inclusive. We reject the multiple assertions in the recently published article in The Dartmouth that undermine the hard work and talent of all of the members of the directorate who earned their positions.

The piece perpetuates the notion that women are less qualified for positions of power than men, a notion that is incredibly disturbing. It is queer students, students of color, gender minorities and women who must overcome the most institutional obstacles. Therefore, we take issue with the lack of understanding for how language specifically endangers minority communities. This article is an illustrative example of white male entitlement and ignorance of structural violence. Such entitlement is an impediment to critical thought at this institution.

We implore students at Dartmouth to take this opportunity to think deeply about the differences between merit and entitlement, between mere misfortune and oppression.

In Solidarity,

The members of Panarchy