To the Dartmouth Community,

The members of Outdoor Leadership Experience stand in solidarity with the First Year Trips director, assistant director, and each of the immensely qualified directorate members.

In response to a recently published Op-Ed, OLE would like to make clear our belief that sexist, racist, and privileged language has no place on this campus, in the context of the outdoors, and beyond. As an organization dedicated to mentorship in the outdoors, we believe that a mentor’s ability to serve as a role model rests upon far, far more than their gender.

We are committed to helping people feel empowered in the outdoors, regardless of their gender, ability, race, ethnicity, or socioeconomic status. OLE has the utmost confidence that the First Year Trips program and its leadership will fulfill this mission as well.

We write this letter with the hope that the conversation will shift from focusing on a single individual or Op-Ed, to addressing how we think and talk about gender, privilege, and merit.  This is an opportunity to have thoughtful, productive discussion and disagreement, without using language that is marginalizing or intolerant of others.

In Solidarity,

OLE

**The opinions of this letter are a result of a group discussion and may not represent the views of every individual in our community**