To the Dartmouth Community,

The events of this past week, though startling, were a mere glimpse of the reality that many individuals face on campus every day. The incident that occurred in KDE was an attack on the well-being of all self-identifying Dartmouth women and the right of all members of Dartmouth College to feel safe and valued by the community to which they belong.  Though this particular threat was tangible and written, many like it are not.  Often times, there is no evidence for such crimes of sexual harassment- be them physical or verbal- and it is imperative that those events are considered with the same gravity and call for redress.

The crimes that occurred that night and others in past few days are acts of violence. They are intended to threaten, demean and dis-empower the women on this campus. Far too often sexual violence that occurs on this campus is silenced and erased. This is a call to action to protect one another, to speak out against sexism and violence, and to no longer remain complacent as a community when any marginalized group is threatened.

We will not stand idle as members of our community are targeted by this violence. It is our job to not only demand change at a personal level, but also to hold the College’s faculty, staff, and administration accountable to make changes to an environment where many feel unsafe. We also recognize that while this specific incident and some recent events targeted women on campus, sexual violence occurs against men, gender nonconforming individuals, affiliated, unaffiliated, queer and trans people, and disproportionately people of color.  We are dedicated to creating a campus environment where every individual’s voice gets heard.

Although last Wednesday night’s events were deeply discouraging, and incidents following speak to this same culture of violence, it is up to us to decide how to move forward. We refuse to be intimidated by the actions of others. We will fight for our right to safety and respect. Time and time again women of Dartmouth have proven strong and resilient against those who work to undermine our progress and success. Our perseverance, determination, and bonds are things that no individual or group can take away from us.

We will offer support for the women of Dartmouth, for all survivors of sexual violence, and for anyone who feels threatened or unsafe on this campus. In this sensitive time,  please utilize the following resources:

S&S: 603-646-4000

Hanover Police: 603-643-2222

Counseling: 603-646-9442 or 603-646-4000

WISE: 866-348-9473 or [log in to unmask]

Dean on-Call: 603-646-2243

Residential Life: 603-646-3093

SAPAs: [log in to unmask]

Panhellenic Council: [log in to unmask]

Sincerely,

Dartmouth College Inter-Sorority Council

Samantha Maltais, Inter-Sorority Council President

Maggie Sherin, Kappa Delta Epsilon President

Kalei Akau, Sigma Delta President

Alex Vasques, Alpha Phi President

Megan Mounts, Kappa Delta President

Danica Rodriguez, Epsilon Kappa Theta President

Katherine Flessel, Alpha Xi Delta President

Alexa Santry, Kappa Kappa Gamma President

Megan Batangan, Chi Delta President