Thursday, April 6, 5:00-6:00 pm, Rockefeller 003

"Dreamland: America's Opiate Epidemic and How We Got Where We Are"

Book signing of Dreamland: The True Tale of America's Opiate Epidemic follows public talk

Co-sponsored by the Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy & Clinical Practice, the C. Everett Koop Institute, CHaD, and Dartmouth Hitchcock (Perinatal Treatment and Addiction Program, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, and Psychiatry)

 Sam Quinones, Journalist & Author

Sam Quinones is a Los Angeles-based freelance journalist and author of three books of narrative nonfiction. His latest book is Dreamland: The True Tale of America's Opiate Epidemic (Bloomsbury, 2015), for which he traveled across the United States.

Dreamland recounts twin stories of drug marketing in the 21st Century: A pharmaceutical corporation flogs its legal new opiate prescription painkiller as nonaddictive. Meanwhile, immigrants from a small town in Nayarit, Mexico devise a method for retailing black-tar heroin like pizza in the U.S., and take that system nationwide, riding a wave of addiction to prescription pills from coast to coast. The collision of those two forces has led to America's deadliest drug scourge in modern times.