To the members of the Dartmouth community,

SHEBA would like to acknowledge the concerns raised in the op-ed recently published by The Dartmouth. We appreciate this moment that has led us to honest self-reflection and the opportunity to grapple with racial and historical issues deeply relevant to our group.

We sincerely apologize for the photograph that was taken that represented gang symbols. In the moment of taking the photo, our group inaccurately referenced the 3-point sign made popular in the NBA with reference to the theme of our show, basketball. We recognize that this moment of ignorance and carelessness had severe impacts on members of the Dartmouth community and for that we deeply apologize.

The incidents over 15X were similarly rooted in ignorance. That summer, one of our choreographers unknowingly included a gang symbol into their dance. Once informed of its significance, the choreographer immediately removed it. However, we did not treat this moment and its effect on the members of SHEBAlite with the gravity that it deserved. The same carelessness and neglect are reflected in the photograph taken last month, and we are deeply sorry.

SHEBA does not in any way condone the inappropriate usage of the symbols and culture of gang violence. We understand that the commodification of these symbols trivializes their real impact on people who haved lived that experience. We deeply apologize for our repeated ignorance and failure to grasp the connection between these incidents.

In light of our apology, we also hold ourselves accountable. Beyond the inciting incidents, we recognize the broader implications of cultural appropriation of Blackness in hip hop dance and its relevance to our group. We have initiated discussions within our team as well as with others, including professors, administration, alumni and campus activists about the issues raised.

In order to hold ourselves accountable, we will continue to engage in conversations within our own group, centering the experiences and opinions of the Black members of SHEBA. We believe that this is just the first step of many in a longer process of healing and necessary change. We plan to share the concrete steps we will take with the Dartmouth community in the near future.

Moving forward, we invite conversation and open dialogue with all members of the Dartmouth community. Please feel free to contact us at [log in to unmask]