Hi Everyone!

Tonight at Theology on Tap we will be discussing how various methods of communication and language interact with faith beliefs and practices.  A common maxim in linguistics is that "language shapes thought," so what about religious thought?   Do the languages we use change the way that we can think and talk about faith?  What about the reverse- does faith influence our way of communicating and the languages that we use?

Discussion questions may include:

- How have different faith and value systems influenced the languages we speak?

- How are different languages liberating or limiting in allowing us to talk about our faith?  How does this change when talking about different belief systems?

- Can language ever truly capture faith experiences beyond words?  Is there anything that we can capture?

- What role do languages that we don't commonly speak today (such as Latin, etc.) play in thinking and talking about faith?

-  Does a language's utility in discussing faith change depending on the dimension- personal prayer versus a public service, academic discussion vs. a personal chat, etc.?

Join us tonight at 9 pm the Canoe Club on Main Street for discussion of these questions and more over a round of free drinks and garlic fries!  We hope to see you there!

Peace,

Marielle