Hello Dartmouth community members,

From 11:00-3:00 on Sunday the 18, the Dartmouth Parliamentary Debate Team will host an informational session about our first debate tournament, BU Novice. We will discuss the mechanics of parliamentary debate, go over how to write effective cases, and run practice rounds to prepare novice debaters for their first tournaments.

Parliamentary debate is a debate style characterized by a focus on impromptu speaking and logical argumentation, as opposed to citing factual studies. Good debaters learn to construct arguments on the fly and speak with confidence on a variety of topics.

Our first tournament, BU Novice, is this weekend at Boston University from Friday to Saturday. It is targeted specifically at new debaters. If you want to learn more about this tournament, come to our meeting this Sunday. Pizza will be served. All members of the Dartmouth community are welcome.

Best,
Dartmouth Parliamentary Debate Team