Hi Friends!

Tonight for Theology on Tap, we will be discussing the relationship between Christianity and violence.

The God of the Old Testament often performs or facilitates violent acts against his enemies, such as the destruction of Pharaoh's army in Exodus.  However, in Matthew 5, Jesus provides a radically different approach to violence in his Sermon on the Mount, calling for Christians to "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you."  Taking these conflicting views from the Bible into account, how can we examine the connection between Christianity and violence throughout history and in the present?

Discussion questions may include:

- How can we reconcile these seemingly opposite opinions on violence from the same God?

How does Jesus's view of violence relate to complete pacifism?

- Is there ever a time where Christians should call for violence?

- How can people today confront and process the history of violence condoned by the Church?

Please join us at the Canoe Club tonight at 9 pm for discussion over a round of free drinks and garlic fries!

Cheers,

Marielle