March 31st is Transgender Day of Visibility!

In honor of TDOV, we are starting an online awareness campaign to celebrate transgender people. We will send out one all-campus email every day for a week. We encourage you to join in on social media with #TDOV and #MoreThanVisibility!

DAY 4:

PEOPLE - S. BEAR BERGMAN

S. Bear Bergman is a transmasculine person. He is a writer, storyteller, theater artist, educator, and activist. He was one of the founders of the the first high school GSA (Gay-Straight Alliance) in the United States. He has written several excellent books and essays about gender. He is also a theater performer, primarily doing storytelling, and has won awards for his solo performances. He likewise gives lectures frequently. Bear is Jewish, and often writes about the intersection of his queer, trans, and religious identities. His writing combines a tenderness and ferocity that is deeply beautiful; it provides an excellent platform for discussing gender and life.

He is the author of the following books of collected essays about gender:

- Butch Is a Noun (on identifying as a butch)

- The Nearest Exit May be Behind You (on everything - Lambda Literary Award finalist)

- Blood, Marriage, Wine, & Glitter (on family)

- He also co-edited—alongside Kate Bernstein—the award-winning Gender Outlaws: The Next Generation

He is also the author of the following children’s books and runs the publishing house behind them, Flamingo Rampant:

- Backwards Day

- The Adventure of Tulip

- Birthday Wish Fairy

TDOV is currently run by Trans Student Educational Resources. TDOV began as a reaction to Transgender Day of Remembrance, aiming to create a day for empowerment and recognition instead of focusing solely on mourning.

The 2016 theme is More Than Visibility: "This recognizes that while visibility is important, we must take direct action against transphobia around the world. Visibility is not enough alone to bring transgender liberation. Some people experience violence due to their visibility and some others don’t want to be visible. However, we can use visibility as a vital tool for transgender justice.”

Disclaimer: The information in this email was not compiled by professional historians. Any errors are the fault of the writers, not the individuals described. If you have any comments or concerns, please email [log in to unmask].