Error during command authentication.

March 31st is Transgender Day of Visibility!

In honor of TDOV, we are starting an online awareness campaign to celebrate transgender people. We will send out one all-campus email every day for a week. We encourage you to join in on social media with #TDOV and #MoreThanVisibility! The Facebook event can be found HERE and we would love it if you could share the posts to get the word out there!

DAY 2:

PEOPLE - LESLIE FEINBERG

(1949-2014)

Leslie Feinberg was an American transgenderbutch lesbian activist, communist, and author. Feinberg authored Stone Butch Blues in 1993. Her writing, notably Stone Butch Blues and her pioneering non-fiction book, 1996's Transgender Warriors, laid the groundwork for much of the terminology and awareness around gender studies, and was instrumental in bringing these issues to a more mainstream audience. Feinberg described herself as "an anti-racist white, working-class, secular Jewish, transgender, lesbian, female, revolutionary communist." Feinberg stated in a 2006 interview that her preferred pronouns varied depending on context:

For me, pronouns are always placed within context. I am female-bodied, I am a butch lesbian, a transgender lesbian - referring to me as "she/her" is appropriate, particularly in a non-trans setting in which referring to me as "he" would appear to resolve the social contradiction between my birth sex and gender expression and render my transgender expression invisible. I like the gender neutral pronoun "ze/hir" because it makes it impossible to hold on to gender/sex/sexuality assumptions about a person you're about to meet or you've just met. And in an all trans setting, referring to me as "he/him" honors my gender expression in the same way that referring to my sister drag queens as "she/her" does. - Leslie Feinberg

TDOV is currently run by Trans Student Educational Resources. TDOV began as a reaction to Transgender Day of Remembrance, aiming to create a day for empowerment and recognition instead of focusing solely on mourning.

The 2016 theme is More Than Visibility: "This recognizes that while visibility is important, we must take direct action against transphobia around the world. Visibility is not enough alone to bring transgender liberation. Some people experience violence due to their visibility and some others don’t want to be visible. However, we can use visibility as a vital tool for transgender justice.”

Disclaimer: The information in this email was not compiled by professional historians. Any errors are the fault of the writers, not the individuals described. If you have any comments or concerns, please email [log in to unmask].