Deadline Extended to Monday 2/22 at noon!

Looking for something to do this summer? Interested in engineering, product design, or international development?

Apply to travel to Bangladesh this summer with Dartmouth Humanitarian Engineering!

DHE's SafaPani team is developing a household-scale filter for the removal of arsenic from groundwater in South Asia, a global health issue the World Health Organization calls the "largest mass poisoning of a population in history."

Arsenic contamination of groundwater in countries such as India, Nepal, and Bangladesh causes serious long term health problems such as skin lesions, a variety of cancers, and neurological and reproductive issues. Solutions have been attempted by governments and NGOs, but many fail in the long term. Our current filter utilizes effective technology and human-centered design in order to offer a sustainable solution for users.

This summer, we are looking for a team to connect with NGO partners and local manufacturers in Bangladesh, investigate market conditions for our filter, conduct user surveys, and carry out on-the-ground testing of the most recent prototype. The trip will be about 10 weeks long, starting in mid-late June and finishing towards the end of August, but start/end dates are flexible depending on the travelers!

We are looking for students of all backgrounds for this trip! A successful travel team needs a variety of skill sets, both engineering and non-engineering.

Fill out the attached application by Monday, February 22nd at noon!

For more information on SafaPani and DHE, check out our website:

http://www.dhedartmouth.org/projects/safapani-water-purification/

--

Dartmouth Humanitarian Engineering
Thayer School of Engineering