Are you interested in biology, chemistry, physics, computer science, or engineering?

Do you want to learn about the cutting edge of Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering?

Then iGEM may be the competition for you! iGEM is the International Genetically Engineered Machine foundation, which is dedicated to education and competition in the exciting new field of "synthetic biology." Synthetic biology is the practice of using "BioBricks," pieces of functional genetic code, to construct novel biological devices, systems, and machines that serve useful purposes. Synthetic biology uses many of the same techniques and equipment of the biological sciences, but instead of research and new discoveries, synthetic biologists aim to engineer and improve upon the genetic blueprints of existing organisms. Previous iGEM projects have had broad implications for environmental science, industry, and medicine. For more information, visit igem.org<http://igem.org/>.

In 2004, iGEM began as a small summer competition at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology with only 5 teams. Today, it has expanded to 280 teams worldwide, reaching over more than 30 countries. Now, a few Dartmouth students and faculty members are trying to assemble Dartmouth's first undergraduate team. We will be having an organizational meeting about iGEM on Tuesday, August 18 at 2 PM in the Great Hall at Thayer (Cummings). We will discuss what the competition is, how we can get started, and what kinds of projects we could do. Please send an email to [log in to unmask] if you plan on attending.

Thank you!
Kevin Kang, NSS Executive Committee