Greetings, friends!

All are welcome to the Episcopal Campus Ministry's weekly event, Theology on Tap, where we wrestle with some question of faith or morality over free drinks (alcohol for 21+) and the Canoe Club's fabulous garlic fries. Every Monday during term at 9pm, at the Canoe Club. Everyone of any or no faith is welcome!

Tonight's Theology on Tap will tackle HELL.

According to one survey, 60% of Americans believe in hell, and 92% of those who attend church weekly do.

Questions for Tonight:

• What do you think of when you think of hell? Lake of fire? “Turn or Burn!”

• Do you think hell exists literally?

• What do you think of Christians using the concept of hell as an evangelistic tool? Questions like: If you died TONIGHT, do you know where you would go?

• If not hell...what? A hell that “loves” people into repentance? - God’s restorative justice? Annihilationism? What?

• If we lose hell, what do we really lose? What might we gain?

Some terminology/starting points:

• Retributive Justice: Any form of justice that puts things right through punishment or payback: an eye for an eye. The wrong must be set right through action of some sort against the wrongdoer.

• Restorative Justice: A theory of justice that focuses on repairing a harm or offense so that the relationship between victim and offender can be restored.

• If God resorts to retributive justice as the prominent way of dealing with sinners, then the traditional views of hell make sense. But if God seeks to reconcile with sinners through restorative justice, then we must rethink our views of hell. (Razing Hell, by Sharon Baker)

• Some think that we need hell so that God can have justice (retributive) on God's creation.

Please join us at 9pm at the Canoe Club for free drinks, garlic fries, and a good discussion!

Peace,

Ethan