Error during command authentication.

Greetings!

If you are reading this, you are warmly invited to Theology on Tap, hosted by the Episcopal Campus Ministry. Every Monday, we gather at the Canoe Club at 9pm to discuss matters of faith, morality, and other sticky issues over complimentary drinks (including alcoholic beverages for 21+) and garlic fries.

People of all faiths and non-faiths, spirituality or lack thereof, are welcome, and we are an LGBTQIA+ affirming ministry. All are welcome-- no exceptions.

Our topic this week will be "doubt." (See below for some potential discussion questions.)

If you'd like to meet some people who love to get together and wrestle with some of the "big questions" about life, death, afterlife (if there is one...), and other things, we're the group for you!

Mondays, 9pm, Canoe Club. Free food/drink, and great discussion.

Pax,

Ethan Falleur, '16

Episcopal Campus Ministry Coordinator

Questions to think about:

* What is the role of “doubt” in one’s faith life? (Or life in general?)

* Can doubt be a good thing?

* Is there a point at which doubt begins to NOT be a good thing anymore? Is there a

“line” it can cross?

* Can doubt lead to a paralyzing of one’s faith?

* What is "faith," and how does it differ from "belief"?

Some thoughts from Rachel Held Evans (http://rachelheldevans.com/):

* “We’ve never been taught to doubt well.”

* I believe that doubt is a part of a vibrant, growing faith.

* I believe that doubt is necessary as it helps us identify those parts of our faith which

are dying and/or dead.

* I believe doubt can lead us to embracing the mysteries of faith.

Deuteronomy 29:29:

“The secret things belong to the Lord...”

Apophatic Theology:

“Apophatic theology, also known as Negative theology or Via Negativa is a theology that

attempts to describe God, the Divine Good, by negation, to speak only in terms of what may

not be said about the perfect goodness that is God. It stands in contrast with Cataphatic

theology. In brief, negative theology is an attempt to achieve unity with the Divine Good

through discernment, gaining knowledge of what God is not (apophasis), rather than by

describing what God is.”

Other quotes:

“Doubt is not the opposite of faith; certainty is.”

“Doubt is not the opposite of faith; apathy is.”