Our SEC Dinner Discussion Series Returns with......
Help! How Do I Deal With Classism?:
Classism and Elitism in Our Everyday Lives
THURSDAY IN COLLIS 101 at 7:00PM
FREE FOOD!!! Featuring Moe's!​
"Class is a relative social rank in terms of income, wealth, education, status/position, and/or power. A class consists of a large group of people who share a similar economic and/or social position in society based on their income, wealth, property ownership, job status, education, skills, or power in the economic and political sphere. Class is determined not just by “economic capital” (what you earn or own) but also by “social capital” (who you know) and “cultural capital” (what you know). Our class identity affects us on the personal and emotional level, not just in economic terms, since it influences how we feel about ourselves and others.​" - classism.org
How do we as individuals deal with classism in our everyday lives? How do we even deal when we encounter classist stereotyping or elitist statements? Given that 60% of our student body comes from income backgrounds of the top 6%, how could assumptions about class define how we see ourselves as Dartmouth students?
(We appreciate more informational links to broaden the discussion!)
The SEC Dinner Discussion Series​ aims to be a safe space where we conduct group discussions about interesting questions, topics, and themes that are linked to class. The discussion will be moderated by 2 students, and everyone gets a chance to speak. All expressed points of view are valid and we expect that everyone be respectful of others!
Dartmouth Quest Scholars (DQS) is a student support and issue group focused on socioeconomic identity, class, and classism. We are the Dartmouth Chapter of the Quest Scholars Network, which was founded to help close the socioeconomic gap in higher education. DQS meets weekly to bring together students interested in class issues wish to find a supportive community. This group is open to all students. If you are interested in joining our blitz list, let us know at Dartmouth.Quest.Scholars@Dartmouth.edu.​​​​​​