Film Events This Week:

Monday, March 2nd, 6-7pm: Dartmouth Film Society Meeting (Wilson 205)

The Dartmouth Fil​m Society is a student organization that meets once a week to discuss the films playing at the Hopkins Center, debate important issues (like whether Ghostbusters is the best film of all time), write program notes, critique new movie trailers and vote on series proposals for future terms. You don’t have to be an expert - you just have to have an opinion!

Monday, March 2nd, 7pm: Sonic Landscapes Film Screening: “Koyaanisqatsi (1982)”

(VAC 001, Black Family Visual Arts Center, Free and Open to the Public)

Part of the weekly film screening for Sonic Landscapes. Film followed by discussion and Q&A. Koyaanisqatsi (1982). Godfrey Reggio. Runtime: 87 min.

http://dartmouth.edu/events/event?event=33109

https://www.thehowe.org/media/pdf/event-series-schedules/cine-salon-spring-20.pdf

Thursday, March 5th, 5pm: “Shored Up: When Human Nature and the Force of Nature Collide”

(041 Haldeman, Free and Open to the Public)

A documentary film that asks tough questions about our coastal communities and our relationship to the land. Filmmaker Ben Kalina will introduce the film and answer questions. What will a rising sea do to our homes, our businesses, and the survival of our communities? Can we afford to pile enough sand on our shores to keep the ocean at bay? In Long Beach Island, New Jersey and the Outer Banks of North Carolina, surfers, politicians, scientists and residents are racing to answer these questions.  Beach engineering has been our only approach so far, but is there something else out there to be explored?  Our development of the coastlines put us in a tough predicament, and it’s time to start looking for solutions. Filmmaker Ben Kalina will introduce the film and answer questions. (This event was rescheduled from January 26 due to weather.) http://dartmouth.edu/events/event?event=33147

Friday, March 6th, 6:30pm & 8:30pm: Hop Film: “Ida”

(Loew Auditorium, Black Family Visual Arts Center, $5 for students)

Back by popular demand, this film replaces Leviathan. Oscar Winner: Best Foreign Language Film. From acclaimed director Pawel Pawlikowski (Last Resort, My Summer of Love) comes a moving and intimate drama about a young novitiate nun in 1960s Poland who, on the verge of taking her vows, makes a shocking discovery about her past. 18-year old Anna (stunning newcomer Agata Trzebuchowska), a sheltered orphan raised in a convent, is preparing to become a nun when the Mother Superior insists she first visit her sole living relative. Naïve, innocent Anna soon finds herself in the presence of her aunt Wanda, a worldly and cynical Communist Party insider, who shocks her with the declaration that her real name is Ida and her Jewish parents were murdered during the Nazi occupation. This revelation triggers a heart-wrenching journey into the countryside, to the family house and into the secrets of the repressed past, evoking the haunting legacy of the Holocaust and the realities of postwar Communism. Powerfully written and eloquently shot, Ida a masterly evocation of a time, a dilemma, and a defining historical moment; Ida is also personal, intimate, and human. The weight of history is everywhere, but the scale falls within the scope of a young woman learning about the secrets of her own past. This intersection of the personal with momentous historic events makes for what is surely one of the most powerful and affecting films of the year. D: Pawel Pawlikowski, Poland, subtitled, 2014, Runtime: 80 min. https://hop.dartmouth.edu/Online/hop_film_ida2

Saturday, March 7th, 5pm & 8pm: Hop Film: “Unbroken”

(Loew Auditorium, Black Family Visual Arts Center, $5 for students)

Louis Zamperini, Olympic runner and bombardier, crashes into the Pacific during WWII. He survives 47 days adrift in a raft only to be sent to a Japanese POW camp. Two years of unimaginable hardship and the attentions of a sadistic commander follow. Driven to the limits of endurance, Zamperini would answer desperation with ingenuity, brutality with rebellion and suffering with hope, resolve and humor. Adapted from Laura Hillenbrand's (Seabiscuit) enormously popular book, Unbroken brings to the big screen Zamperini's unbelievable true story about the resilient power of the human spirit.  D: Angelina Jolie, US, 2014, Runtime: 120m.

https://hop.dartmouth.edu/Online/hop_film_unbroken

Sunday, March 8th, 4pm & 7pm: DFS Film: “Wild”

(Loew Auditorium, Black Family Visual Arts Center, $5 for students)

Cheryl Strayed (Reese Witherspoon) suffered a painful divorce, the abrupt death of her 45-year-old mother (Laura Dern) and a period of promiscuity and drug use. Utterly broken, she decides to hike the 1,100-mile Pacific Crest Trail from Mexico to Oregon…alone. Witherspoon delivers a superbly unsentimental and gutsy performance, and Jean-Marc Vallée (Dallas Buyers Club) turns Strayed’s acclaimed, best-selling memoir into a passionate, funny and involving cinematic journey. D: Jean-Marc Vallée, US, 2014, Runtime: 120m.

https://hop.dartmouth.edu/Online/dfs_film_wild

Now Playing at the Nugget:

Birdman

The Imitation Game

American Sniper

Still Alice

Citizenfour

Ongoing Film Opportunities:

1. Interested in TV? Email [log in to unmask] to see how you can get involved in Dartmouth Television!Description: https://ci6.googleusercontent.com/proxy/RnNZfQn2o2xpggJQqefCOervMbPIci5mujDPJnvl43kv6Rtxjyh5gHN_JKVzeU-aaGz3pePFgxfoAAtZJZNx8mveVTc-11j98EfuAJVcumUenA=s0-d-e1-ft#https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif

2. The Digital Lab in the Black Family Visual Arts Center will be hosting open lab hours this term led by Chris Ivanyi. Sun: 6-9pm, Mon: 3-5pm & 6-9pm, Tues: 3-5pm, Wed: 3-5pm & 6-9pm, Thurs: 3-5pm. In the Digital Lab you can learn about working with Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, After Effects, Final Cut Pro, and other photo/video editing software.

Upcoming workshops:

Mar 5, After Effects, Basics 4PM-530PM &

MoVi, steady cams systems with guest filmmaker, Ben Silberfarb, 7PM-830PM, Visual Arts Center (room 109).

The 15W workshop schedule, all are set for Thursdays 4 – 5:30 pm:

DWS (Digital Workshop)

Mar 5 After Effects Basics

*

Also, IIM (Images in Motion) workshop series, all set for Thursdays 7 – 8:30 pm:​

Mar 5:   MoVi – steadi system for handheld camera operation

(please check the website for up to date information : http://sites.dartmouth.edu/digitallab/ , or the big poster at VAC digital lab, room 109).

3. Looking for an internship in the entertainment industry? Join the DAEMA Internship Google Group for updates on what is available: http://groups.google.com/group/daema_jobsinternships

Feel free to contact me:

    - If you have events that you want included on this email next week.

    - If you can think of a way for me to improve these emails.

Best,

Mykel Nairne '16

Assistant to the Department of Film and Media Studies

Dartmouth College