***

YOUR WORLD, YOUR VOICE: DARTMOUTH STUDENTS AS THOUGHT LEADERS

Thursday, April 18, 4:30pm

041 Haldeman

Our society depends on a thriving, churning, diverse public debate about the important issues that shape our lives -- about politics, science and technology, the environment, the arts, culture, and the economy. Yet many people -- who are potentially valuable participants in this debate -- keep silent. They don't envision themselves as leaders; they allow self-doubt to hold them back; or they simply don't know how to jump in.

This event is designed to encourage Dartmouth students to see themselves as potential leaders in shaping the public debate. While we aim to encourage any and all students, we will focus particularly on people who do not as often speak out --namely, women and men of color. Your participation is important so that diverse voices can be heard -- your absence weakens the public debate. (It is also important for your careers that you develop leadership and communication skills.) We want you to see yourselves as potential "thought leaders" who have much to contribute--indeed, a responsibility to contribute.

At the event panelists will discuss what is "expertise," what expertise Dartmouth students have that they can contribute, and how to develop the basic writing and communication tools to do so. Three faculty members (all participants in Dartmouth's "Public Voices Fellows" program, run by the organization "The OpEd Project") will speak about how they have taken their work from the ivory tower to communicating with broader audiences -- and about the apprehensions, the challenges, and the rewards of this process.

PANELISTS:

Prof. Pramit Chaudhuri (Classics)

Prof. Jennifer Lind (Government)

Prof. Jane Lipson (Chemistry)