Southern drawl? Midwestern purity? Pahking the cah in Hahvahd Yahd?
This week's MND is with Linguistics Professor Jim Stanford!
Topic: Dialect acquisition by children - why do we talk the way we do?

Date: Monday, February 18th
Location: Amarna [23 E. Wheelock St.]
Time: 7pm

Chefs: Blaine Ponto '14 and Kenny Baclawski '12
Menu: Amarna's special recipe mac & cheese, butternut squash soup, and apple bread pudding.
Missed Wine & Cheese? Don't miss this dinner!

And stay tuned for next week's talk on fracking with EARS Professor Edward Meyer!

James Stanford is an assistant professor in the Linguistcs & CogSci department. He founded the NWAV ASIA-PACIFIC sociolinguistics conference, focused on studying Asian and Pacific languages. His major research interest is in studying linguistic variations in lesser-studied languages and minority groups, including the Sui people of China and various Hmong populations throughout the United States. He has also published papers on the New Hampshire dialect, his study of which was featured in the New York Times, Boston Public Radio, and others.