So, we all know that this has been a pretty gross winter in Hanover.

But you know where it's not gross?

In the mountains.
Curled up by a warm fire in a cabin.
On trails that aren't covered in salt and sand and ice!

Join the DOC for our big Winter Weekend- we've got a lot of trips planned this weekend, and we want you to join us! All trips are $5, and leave Saturday morning, go play outside, and then come to the Class of '66 Lodge for dinner, games, a warm fire, and some music. We'll spend the night in the cabin, have breakfast, and come back in the morning!

Sound like your idea of a good time? Signups are tomorrow, Thursday, from 11-2 in the front lobby of Robinson Hall. Questions? Blitz "theDOC".

Trips that are available are below:

Beginner ice climbing: Have an affinity for scaling vertical objects? Like to see the world from a different perspective, notably, from way up in the air on the side of a cliff? This ice climbing trip will be a great way to learn about ice climbing- the best way to keep climbing through the winter! Blitz Michael Swartz with questions.

Open Climbing Gym: Ice not your thing? Like climbing, but not the cold? Our fearless climbing gym monitors will open the climbing gym for you, for free, from 1-5pm this Saturday, so whether you've never climbed before and want to give it a try, or you know you love climbing and you've been aching for some warm, dry rock, come down to the gym this Saturday afternoon! The climbing gym is in the basement of the Maxwell Senior Apartments building, in the River cluster. Questions? Blitz "Climbing Gym". No signup necessary for this one!

Winter Weekend Sunrike!!
If you don't have the time to go on a longer trip this winter weekend, come hang out at Harris Cabin (AKA the Class of '66 Lodge) for dinner on Saturday, where all the winter weekend trips culminate, stay at Harris overnight, and then go on a gorgeous sunrike (weather permitting) the next morning to one of the peaks of Moose Mountain - which is only a couple of miles from Harris Cabin, and be back on campus by 9am on Sunday!
Lets face it, it's impossible to get any work done between 6pm on Saturday and 9am on Sunday anyway!!
Cost: $5 for DOC members and non-members!
Blitz Vipul Kakkad with questions.

Ski Zealand Falls!
Zealand Falls is a beautiful frozen waterfall in the White Mountains. We’ll use cross-country skis to ski up the side of snowy Mt. Zealand to the waterfall, and then ski down! Afterwards we’ll go to Harris cabin to join the other DOC weekend trips for a feast. After dinner you can either stay at Harris, or head back to campus on a bus.
LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY:
Zealand Falls is very beginner-friendly (moderate grades). That said, it would help if you have been on skis (alpine or cross-country) once before (for example, on the golf course).
QUESTIONS: Blitz Matt Pickart ([log in to unmask])

Hike and Sled on Mt. Moosilauke!
When: Leaving Robo at 9:00 AM, flexible return time (see below)
Description: What could be better than hiking up the iconic Mt. Moosilauke? How about hiking up and then SLEDDING DOWN! This moderate hike will take us to the South Peak area, where totally awesome views are promised! After snapping some sweet pics and eating some tasty noms, we'll sled gloriously down the mountain in a flurry of snow and unadulterated bliss. Once back to our vehicle, we'll drive on over to Harris Cabin, where we'll meet up with all the other DOC Winter Weekend trips for some wonderful dinner and company. Those who wish to stay the night at Harris are encouraged to do so! If you don't want to sleep over, no problem - there will be transportation available back to campus after dinner.
Blitz: Max Deibel with questions

Introduction to Backcountry Skiing!
Know how to ski, but always wanted to venture out into the backcountry? Sick of long lift lines, crowds, and $12 burgers? Join the Winter Sports Club for an introduction to backcountry skiing! Some equipment and knowledge of skiing is required, so we'll have a brief questionnaire for you to fill out to make sure everyone has enough experience to be safe. This will be a great way for knowledgeable skiers to learn about a whole different aspect of the sport, and get out into the beautiful Vermont wilderness! Questions? Blitz Charlie Governali.