LLTI Archives

December 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 08:35:17 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Jacqueline Kaminski <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 14:51:22 -0800
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Jacqueline Kaminski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5402 Word 98 (Mac) problems

------------------
Greetings!

We've had some problems with Word corrupting files on PC-formatted
disks on our new iMacs using OS 8.5 and SuperDisk drives.  Our
problems were quite similar to those you cited during your attempts
to save or autosave.  We haven't experienced the difficulty you have
with the fonts, though...yet... :)

I'm not sure if this information is exactly what you're looking for,
but it may help. We switched back to PC Exchange 2.2 and it seems to
fix the problem.  We also got this info from Apple:

*********************
I have found this to be an issue related to Microsoft Word
specifically.  I will send this up as an FYI to our engineers, but I
have seen similar issue with Word before as you  describe.  I have
also contacted Microsoft technical support (case ID number:
43326110).  I was originally able to reproduce the issue on
my production machine.  I trashed the following files at their
suggestion and the issue was not reproducible on my machine since.

Trash:
Extensions:
Microsoft Component Lib
Microsoft OLE Automation
Microsoft OLE Lib
Microsoft Structured Storage

Preferencs:
Embedding Prefs
PPC Registration Database
Word Settings (8)

After trashing these files and then launching Word 98 I was able to
save without issue.
Cheers,
Lowell
Apple Technical Support
*********************

Well, since we had problems similar to the ones you have described
here, I hope that this helps!  Ever since we've done this (and we've
continued to periodically trash the items), we have been operating
much better.

Best regards,
Jacqueline Kaminski
UC Davis

>Hello.
>
>We're currently running OS 8.5 on our Macs, and we use Office 98 with the
>Value Pack proofing tools installed for Spanish, French, etc.  We are also
>running FoolProof security.  We've recently installed Virex, which has
>caught a lot of the Word Macro viruses, and it automatically scans all
>disks that are inserted.
>
>Over the past month we have had strange Word problems, especially with
>people typing in one of the foreign languages (but that is mainly because
>we try to discourage non-language students from using our lab).  Here are
>some of the symptoms that are on some, but not all of the machines, and
>occur some of the time, but not always!:
>
>-after you've done a final save, when you try to close Word, it asks for
>you to save your changes before you quit.  If you say yes, you'll get an
>error message that it can't be saved, and then you can't open that
>document up again.  If you choose "cancel" however, then there's no
>problem.
>
>-students may be typing and saving often, and then after a save a chunk of
>text may disappear, or may change to all different kinds of symbols.
>
>-Autosave has begun to freeze Word (so we've turned that off!)
>
>-many cases of "corrupted files" that can't be reopened.
>
>It seems we have many of these types of problems daily and I am beginning
>to dread having students come in to type their papers here.  We've
>downloaded all the patches for Office 98 from the Microsoft homepage,
>bumped up the minimum memory to 9000 and re-built the desktop (both
>suggestions from Microsoft's homepage).
>
>Any other suggestions?  I'd appreciate any help at all - of course we lost
>our Mac support on campus about 2 weeks before all of this happened.
>Thanks in advance!  -Bridget
>
>Bridget Yaden, Coordinator
>Language Resource Center
>Pacific Lutheran University