LLTI Archives

December 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 17:16:07 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Yaden-luthi Bridget E <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 15:06:28 -0800 (PST)
>From: Yaden-luthi Bridget E <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Word 98 (Mac) problems
>To: [log in to unmask]

Hello.

We're currently running OS 8.5 on our Macs, and we use Office 98 with the
Value Pack proofing tools installed for Spanish, French, etc.  We are also
running FoolProof security.  We've recently installed Virex, which has
caught a lot of the Word Macro viruses, and it automatically scans all
disks that are inserted.

Over the past month we have had strange Word problems, especially with
people typing in one of the foreign languages (but that is mainly because
we try to discourage non-language students from using our lab).  Here are
some of the symptoms that are on some, but not all of the machines, and
occur some of the time, but not always!:

-after you've done a final save, when you try to close Word, it asks for
you to save your changes before you quit.  If you say yes, you'll get an
error message that it can't be saved, and then you can't open that
document up again.  If you choose "cancel" however, then there's no
problem.

-students may be typing and saving often, and then after a save a chunk of
text may disappear, or may change to all different kinds of symbols.

-Autosave has begun to freeze Word (so we've turned that off!)

-many cases of "corrupted files" that can't be reopened.

It seems we have many of these types of problems daily and I am beginning
to dread having students come in to type their papers here.  We've
downloaded all the patches for Office 98 from the Microsoft homepage,
bumped up the minimum memory to 9000 and re-built the desktop (both
suggestions from Microsoft's homepage).

Any other suggestions?  I'd appreciate any help at all - of course we lost
our Mac support on campus about 2 weeks before all of this happened.
Thanks in advance!  -Bridget

Bridget Yaden, Coordinator
Language Resource Center
Pacific Lutheran University