LLTI Archives

December 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 17:15:55 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 09:17:06 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Please give me a longneck, language-lab lady!

------------------
A friend who teaches in the lab brought me a recording of a wonderful
Budweiser radio commercial. A pleasant female voice says "I want a Bud Light
Longneck, please" followed by a beep and an eager young-male voice repeating
the phrase; the female voice continues with the phrase in French, Spanish,
German, Italian, Russian (?), Chinese, etc., with the male voice getting
more and more frantic as he struggles to listen and repeat, finally crying,
"Stupid language-lab lady! Get a life!"

I have a feeling this could be discussed in terms of the communicative vs.
the drill and kill approach.... But I thought I'd share, anyway. Happy holidays!

Judy Shoaf
University of Florida