LLTI Archives

December 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 08:14:41 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Pat Foster <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 12:33:45 -0800
>From: Pat Foster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Sound Control Changes in Mac OS 8?
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
In our language lab we use a Tandberg IS-10 audio console with 25 PowerMacs
running OS 7.5.3. The sound control panel allows us to set the volume for
the headphones and the external speakers separately. The typical setup is
to have the headphone volume up with the speaker muted for language
software; the speaker volume is turned up for other software. We
essentially need to be able to turn the speaker off and on while leaving
the headphones working.

I haven't figured out how to do that if we should upgrade to OS8.x. All I
seem to be able to do is mute the speaker which also mutes the headphones.
Apple's Tech Info Library says it's now up to the application developers to
provide the separate controls. That's fine for software that's still
supported, but we have some old sw that relies on the old arrangement.

Anyone had experience with this?

Thanks,
Pat

Patrick A. Foster