LLTI Archives

December 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 17:22:04 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] (Gordon Hartig) ---

>Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 09:42:24 -0500
>Subject: WPM Across Languages
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: [log in to unmask] (Gordon Hartig)

I don't know of wpm studies on newcasts, but if you look to the
advertising industry you will find studies indicating that speeding up the
recorded message ever so slightly sells more products because
viewers/listeners perceive those peddling the product to be more energetic
and, consequently,  more credible.  I also remember a study from my days
in grad school that compared the speed of spoken American English in
various parts of the country, with people in the northern and eastern
areas speaking more quickly than those in the south and west. Could you
maybe get some ideas from these sources that would apply to Russian
newscasts?  If not, maybe the studies will prove useful for the Hickbonics
debate.  (BTW, my native language is Southern Hoosier.)

Gordon Hartig
Language Lab Coordinator
Middlesex Community College
33 Kearney Square