LLTI Archives

December 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 17:22:02 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Keiko Schneider <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Is there a way to get word-per minute ratings across languages?

Ursula,
In Japanese, since we write everything without space, we don't quite know
what "a word"  is.  So when officially measuring the amount of writing, we
count the number of letters.  (That is why genkou youshi is so handy.)
Therefore a" would count as much as "Perestroika with this method.

Really didn't answer your question, did I?

Sincerely yours,
Keiko Schneider