LLTI Archives

December 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 17:21:47 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Michael Bush <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 15:56:08 +0000
>From: Michael Bush <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #5381 words per minute measure?
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
I do not have a study, but recent anecdotal experience casts this concern in
an interesting light.

I have always assumed that a person can read a text faster than someone say
the same words out loud. As we have developed the subtitle tracks for
_C'eravamo tanto amati_, however, we have found it difficult to get the
Italian text on the screen such that it can always be read comfortably
during the same time that the words are being said by the actors.  This has
made us think that the WPM rating for Italian is perhaps higher than for the
languages in other movies with which we have worked.

I too will be interested in what anyone else might come up with on Ursula's
question.

Cheers,

Michael Bush
Associate Professor of French and