LLTI Archives

December 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 17:21:44 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Bob Peckham <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 16:12:59 -0600 (CST)
>From: Bob Peckham <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5376.1 (FUN) Dialects (!)

------------------
For  anyone interested in Mid-south dialectal traits...yes we have
dialects, take a look at a series of narratives and process descriptions,
written by an elderly Weakley County native, which I have added to the
Weakley County TN web site for their histporical value.  The dialect is
marked by process terminology, common vocabulary, patterns of certain
colloquialisms, and grammatical patterns. The pieces I refer to are by
Paula Howard Thompson, in the history section.

Weakley County @ Globe- Gate
http://globegate.utm.edu/french/globegate_mirror/weakley.html

Remember that this is a very isolated rural county (130 miles from
Memphis, 160 from Nashville).  Globe-Gate research is proud to sponsor
this site as a community service.

TBob

Bob Peckham
Director, The Globe-Gate Project