LLTI Archives

December 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 16:09:15 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Jonathon Reinhardt <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 13:46:18 +0900
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Jonathon Reinhardt <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5376 (FUN) Hickbonics

This is kind of funny, but remember the distinction between a dialect
and slang. A dialect is a language that just hasn't been so deemed by
the powers that be, and within every language there is slang, i.e.
non-formal colloquialisms that more often than not originate in
non-standard dialects. If American academic and governmental power
weren't centered in the northeast, southern dialect or black
vernacular might be the standard against which your speech is right,
wrong, or funny.