LLTI Archives

December 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 16:09:11 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] (Robert Smitheram) ---

[log in to unmask] writes:
>What is it specifically about Nisus that he doesn't like?  My Chinese
>teacher is mostly annoyed with the input method (i.e. CLK) not being
>fast enough or intuitive enough to suit him.

It of course needs to pointed out that this is not a Nisus problem but the nature of the input methods that come with the CLK. There are other alternatives:

        1. Install BoPoMoFo Pinyin input method (comes in two flavors, Simplified and Traditional Chinese). I know the name is misleading, it in fact uses the Pinyin romanization system and not bopomofo system. It is by far the best input method around, as good
as anything on the PC in my opinion. It costs some money,  about $130 last I checked and you have to buy separate versions for Traditional and Simplified Chinese, but then, just type in Traditional and convert to Simplified with any freely available
converters. I have a web page which shows how this input method works:

http://www.cet.middlebury.edu/Smitheram/otherDocs/BoPoMoFo.html

Check it out.

        2.  These is another method developed for the Taiwan Mac market that can be installed onto the English system. It is called Hanin. It is a Traditional Chinese input method, is superior to the one that comes with the CLK, works inline with Nisus (the
Traditional Chinese input method for CLK 2.0 will not work with Nisus unless you dispense with inline support), and is free. Here are the instructions for installing this input method:

The package you want is: TA-Mac_OS_8.6_Update.smi.bin

and is located:

ftp://ftp.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/Chinese-
Traditional/Macintosh/System/Mac_OS_8.6_Update/

Download the gigantic file of 43+ MB (doing it early in the morning East Coast time worked for me). What you get is a mountable disk image. Mount the image and look for the tome file. It is in a folder called "Mac OS 8.6" that is buried a couple of
folders down. The names of the other folders are all in Chinese. Open the tome file with the tome viewer:

ftp://physgi.phy.ncku.edu.tw/pub/mac/util/TomeViewer_1.3d3.sit

And expand the following files and put them as indicated:

1. (a) Hanin v5.0                   (put it into Extension Folder)
    (b) HaninSetup v5.0         (put it into Control Panel Folder)

2. Create a new Folder called  "Hanin5" in System Folder.

3. Put the  'HaninDic', 'AdrDic', 'AimeiDic' into "Hanin5" Folder
(mentioned in 2.)

4. Create a new Folder called 'Expert' in 'Hanin5' Folder.

5.Put the following files into 'Expert' Folder:
         Architecture
         Biology
         Buddhism
         ChineseMedicine
         Commerce
         Computer
         Education
         Industry
         Law&Politics
         Military
         Physics&Chemistry
         Sport
         Traffic
         WesternMedicine

Then just restart and a new input method for Chinese will appear. Use the control panel to change from zhuyin fuhao. My appreciation to Kai-shao Chen ([log in to unmask]) for this tip. It works with MacOS 8.6 naturally, but I got it to work with my
MacOS 8.5 with CLK 2.0 already installed.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Robert H. Smitheram

--
Center for Educational Technology
Middlebury College - Middlebury VT 05753