LLTI Archives

December 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 16:09:07 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Phade Orion Vader <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 09:34:10 -0600
>From: Phade Orion Vader <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5350.6 JLK and MS Word  (!)
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Just a quick comment about JLK and word processors...

I have noticed WordPerfect and Nisus mentioned in the context of languages
support, including a comment that WordPerfect is not an office suite.

I would encourage the investigation of the more recent WordPerfect
editions... the latest is WordPerfect Office 2000, which offers a beautiful
competitive package to Microsoft's Office.  WordPerfect Suite offers
WordPerfect 9 {a full Windows95/98/NT-based word processor}, Quatro Pro
spreadsheet, WordPerfect Presentations {PowerPoint's Competitor}, and so
on.  A lot of our technical folks believe that WordPerfect is a more
powerful, robust word processor, but alas, Word does have dominance.  In
response to this, WordPerfect 9 has a great deal of compatibility with Word.

We use the Language Module for WordPerfect and have had great success in
obtaining spell-checkers, thesauri, and grammar tools, all in one, for a
number of languages, including less-commonly-taught languages.  A number of
our faculty have migrated away from Microsoft Office due to this.

It seems a lot of people equate WordPerfect with the days when its DOS
product dominated the word processor scene.  Fabulous Windows versions
exist and always have.

Note:  WordPerfect is now owned and marketed by Corel, the famous graphics
folks {www.corel.com}.  For Linux interests:  WordPerfect Office/Suite is
also available for Linux {great product!}.

Cheers to all LLTI subscribers this holiday season--

Phade Orion Vader, Director
Language Learning Laboratory
Texas Tech University
Phone 806 742 3151